Therapeutic Foster Care
Unique Therapeutic Foster Care Programs
What is Therapeutic Foster Care?
Therapeutic Foster Care is a treatment model that provides a structured home environment focusing on a child’s mental health and healthy skill building. This program is often used to aid children who will transition to a less intensive program before returning to a permanent home setting.
During your child’s time in the therapeutic foster care home, treatment parents will work to manage the behavioral and medical needs, while a child learns to self-regulate.
Providing LGBTQ+ Affirming Therapeutic Foster Homes
- LGBTQ+ youth are over-represented in our foster care system. At Alexander Youth Network, we are working to grow the number of therapeutic foster homes to serve these youth.
- Statistics About LGBTQ+ Youth in Foster Care:
- 4 percent of youth in foster care identify as LGBTQ and 5 percent as transgender, compared to 11.2 percent and 1.17 percent of youth not in foster care.
- LGBTQ youth turn to the streets to flee harmful home environments, 56 percent chose to live on the street, rather than in a foster care placement because they felt safer there.
- Homeless LGBTQ youth are at greater risk; LGBTQ homeless youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to suffer acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth.
Alexander Youth Network partners with several agencies and uses evidence-based practices in the treatment of children in our therapeutic foster care homes. While in therapeutic foster homes, children are in a stable environment to receive treatment for their mental health problems, trauma-based behaviors, or severe emotional disturbances.
Collaborative Care with Families and Caregivers
Our approach is designed to create a partnership between families and Therapeutic Foster parents to promote healing for children. Professional treatment coaches with small caseloads provide weekly in-home supervision and daily support to treatment parents and are available for 24/7 crisis assistance or consultation.
Locations: Alamance, Alexander, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Catawba, Cumberland, Forsyth, Gaston, Guilford, Hamlet, Hoke, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Moore, Randolph, Richmond, Robeson, Rockingham, Rutherford, Scotland, Union, Wilkes
Ages: Primarily 10-15 years old
Length of Stay: An average of 6-9 months
Insurances: Contact the Intake Department for insurance-related questions at Intake@aynkids.org or by calling (855) 362-8470.
Contact: If you are a referral source or agency seeking Therapeutic Foster Care services, parent seeking TFC services, or you’d like to become a Therapeutic Foster Parent, please complete the form below.