Alexander is very excited to announce a new initiative in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC!
Blue Cross NC is committed to making sure children and families that are part of the foster care system have access to care that works specifically for them. As such, BCBS and Alexander jointly understand the need for LGBTQ-affirming foster care resources:
- LGBTQ young people are over-represented in foster care; 30.4 percent of youth in foster care identify as LGBTQ and 5 percent as transgender, compared to 11.2 percent and 1.17 percent of youth not in foster care.
- LGBTQ youth turn to the streets to flee harmful home environments, 56 percent chose to live on the street, rather than in a foster care placement because they felt safer there.
- Homeless LGBTQ youth are at greater risk; LGBTQ homeless youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to suffer acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth.
With funding from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Alexander’s Therapeutic Foster Care program has launched a pilot project to:
- Recruit LGBTQ-affirming foster families to serve LGBTQ youth, who are often adolescents
- Ensure foster care staff and families are well-trained in serving the needs of LGBTQ foster youth in a sensitive and healing manner
- Create a community support network for families serving LGBTQ youth as well as for the youth
If you’re interested in being an affirming foster parent to an LGBTQ youth, please complete the form below and our LGBTQ Therapeutic Foster Care Program Manager will reach out to you with next steps!